Wednesday 20 June 2007

A little story about friendship

"Friendship has a special meaning when you have someone with whom to share. It is a gift for the heart and soul to share. It grows with love, laughter, joy, happiness, tears and time. Friendship is that golden bond than even time cannot sever. A gift to last throughout our lives. Friendship is for ever."
This is poem is from a frame piece someone gave to me a very long time ago, someone who used to be my friend. i keep it as a reminder for friendships lost, found and those that are yet to be made. every time i look at the frame piece it serves to me as a constant reminder of how delicate, beautiful and important it is to have friendship in our lives.
I recently joined facebook after resisting for so many months, i see that my practically my whole primary and secondary school/college (i went to a sixth form school) are on there. some old Friends i would like to get re-acquainted with and some that i would rather forget. the ones that i would rather forget were my best friends in primary and secondary surprisingly, the ones that hurt me the most.
I like to think that i am a good Friend, i listen to problems, give good advice, buy nice present that i know the receivers will like, take an active part in the friendships i have, i know when to step back, but at times, the other friend can start to take advantage and abuse the friendship and the trust that forms the bond. this has happened to me not once, twice, BUT three times, and the thing that hurts me most, my so-called friends formed an alliance and hurt me all at the same time. my crime? for being a good, caring and naive friend.
Childhood friendships gone in instances, i wanted to shout out "who was by your side to console
you when your mother passed away? you stood by you when your brother went to jail and people gossiped about your morals and conduct?" but i didn't i stood in silence maintaining all the dignity i could muster.
As time has gone on my wounds have healed even though at times i feel the pain and think "why me?"
After this incidence occured i went off to uni, and was very apprehensive, of course i wanted to make friends, but i had already mentally prepared myself not to be too close to anyone that could end up hurting me. the funny thing is the more i tried to keep people at a distance, the more they wanted to come close to me, and at a point i thought "why not, lets see what happens".
The following two years i end up living with these girls in a apartment and have the best, worst, saddest, craziest and happiest time of my life. i found the meaning of true friendship, it encompasses all the colours of the rainbow-the lightness, darkness and brightness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a very good way of writing. you seem like a professional writer. Are you?

Anonymous said...

Very nice :)

Friendship is indeed the nutshell around taking all of life with someone :)