Thursday 7 June 2007

Its not all haha hehe

I was visiting a friend last night, i havent met her for quite some time since we both go to different unis and have to balance a hectic work/study/social life, but we try to make time for each other atleast once every three months regardless of how busy we are. She invited me over for dinner and for a good old girly night in-chatting, laughing, talking about men, fashions, things happening locally etc.



Anyway she asked if i wanted to watch her cousin's wedding film, her cousin got married nearly a year ago to this very nice fob. I was invited to the wedding and remember really enjoying myself because it had all the ingredients that makes me enjoy a wedding-small, i knew everyone, food was yum, entertainment was good. I eagerley said yes to watching the film because i think its a a really girly thing, its not enough to just go to the wedding we need watch it all over again on film to analyse every detail and especially how much lbs the camera has made us gain!



I was happily watching the film, enjoying it and trying to remember what the hell i was talking about at the time of the wedding, because each time the camera is on me, im just chatting away!! Near the end of the film, it was time for the rukhsati and thats what this post of about. It was one of the most emotional rukhsati's i have ever seen, during the actual day i was no where near the rukhsati, i was still in the hall and had not realised the rukhsati was going on.



Seeing the bride, her mother, aunts, brothers, cousins, grandparents cry just sent me off on a train of thoughts. This bride wasnt going very far away from home, just a few streets aways and it was such an emotional experience, so what am i going to be like who probably is going to go half way across the world?



The reality of going away from my parents has began to scare me.
They in our culture a girl is never her parents, she is only for her husband and his family. This really upsets me, my parents have been raising me for 22 years, and I think that they have done a mighty well job with it, then why should i become someone elses soley? Why cant i be his and my parents at the same time? What if his family dont accept me? What if marrying him closes all doors for me ever returning home?



That moment at the end of the happiest day of your life is also the saddest day of your life, saying goodbye to those who were once yours and you were once theirs. I have a choice to make either stay close to home and maybe marry someone who i dont love or for the sake of love forsake all my relations here and go be with him. Either way i think the life of a girl is a turbulent one, so many choices, expectations, hopes, dreams, that can be built up and shattered so quickly.



I can only pray that we girls be with the man that love us and we love him, treat each other right and find a way to balance our love for him and our parents, for that is one of the hardest things to accomplish. For parents (especially fathers) to understand that having feelings for a man doesnt mean that our love and respect for you has gone less, for the man to understand how hard it is to be a only daughter and to leave a life that you have been leading to move to a strange, new place, where you husband is the only familiar face.



I know this blog is kind of a downer, but just needed to let it out, only have a year left at uni and now i think im growing out of my kiddy stage and into adulthood mode and realising what little time i have left with my wonderful, weird, funny, caring and most of all supportive parents and brothers.

1 comment:

Sofi said...

> can only pray that we girls be with the man that love us and we love him, treat each other right and find a way to balance our love for him and our parents

inshallah :)